Gladiator Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improve your deck building skills

5 posters

Go down

Improve your deck building skills Empty Improve your deck building skills

Post by Nightmare Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Everybody wants to have a fast, dynamic, and unbeatable deck that can lay waste to their opponents in a few rounds. There are some important ground rules that you must understand and follow if you want to build an amazing deck. This guide will show you the basics and throw in some suggestions but, ultimately, it is up to you to use your own imagination and creativity in making the deck.

Here are some basic rules you should try to follow:

Consistency:

It is important that you can rely on your deck to give you the cards that you need. This doesn't mean you should throw in every card that you assume is going to help you. Rather, it means finding the few cards that are really good and putting in as many copies of that card as allowed by the rules.

40 cards, no more (some exceptions may apply use your discretion)

Following that train of thought, you want to be able to draw the necessary cards more often. This is why you need to reduce the number of cards in your deck to the bare minimum. This way, you are more likely to get the card you need because there are less of the cards you don't want in your deck.

Theme

Having cards that work well with each other is called having synergy. Aside from themes like Shaddolls or Burning Abyss, there are also cards that work well with the attributes of your cards. For example, Allure of Darkness is great if you have a majority of DARK monsters. This is another form of consistency as you will start to get to the point where any handful of cards from your deck will be a strong and usable hand.

Specifically, look for monster, spell, and trap cards that allow you to search through your deck for specific cards. Finally, recognize the weakness of your deck and keep some cards that will help sustain your strategy throughout a game. For example, if cards like Dimmentional Prison or Bottomless trap hole are threatening to destroy that XYZ Monster you worked so hard to bring onto the field, pack a Book of the Moon to keep it safe.

Everyone needs a little support

Support

Support cards are cards that improve your deck's ability to show off its theme. For example, if you have a lot of Normal monsters and your deck focuses on XYZ'ing a card like Rescue Rabbit would be really helpful. Make sure that your support cards are really helpful to your deck and its theme. There is no point in having lots of really good trap cards in your deck if it is supposed to be focused on summoning Jinzo.

For the most part, avoid putting in normal monsters in your deck unless you're building a deck that can utilize them. Effect monsters work just as well as normal monsters and they have added bonuses in their ability. As well, avoid equip spells like Horn of the Unicorn or Axe of Despair, because it is rare that they will be a life saver when a card like Bottomless trap hole is better to have on hand.

Things to avoid

More than 20 Monsters

Since your deck is going to be only 40 cards, having more than 20 monsters in your deck means that you are more than 50% likely to have a hand of nothing but monster cards. This is not a good thing, as you will have no defensive traps or spells set to keep your strategy in motion. Rely on the synergy of your cards to find the monster cards you want and pack a few more of the staple spells and traps.

Huge Tribute Monsters

This is especially true for level 7 and 8 monsters, as they will often end up being dead cards in your hand. If you ever find a card just sitting in your hand for the entire game, then you should probably remove it from your deck. After playing several games with huge tribute monsters, it is almost certain that these monsters are utterly useless. If you can summon one of these, you probably were winning already and did not really need it at all.

Finishing touches

Test it out

Once you have a deck that you feel confident about, test it out in a duel against an opponent! Try both hard and easy opponents and see if the theme of your deck can beat the themes of your opponents. As mentioned before, keep an eye on which cards you rely on the most and which cards tend to be unused. If you are having trouble dealing with a certain strategy that multiple opponents use, you may have found a weakness and will need to revise your deck a bit. For example, if your game falls apart once you lose your starting group of monsters to a trap or spell card, then add some Forbidden Lances or Trap stuns and see if that helps.

Constantly improving is key and is easy in this game, since you will gain experience play testing your decks and can use that to work on your deck some more. Yu-Gi-Oh! is a fun game because there isn't one perfect, unbeatable strategy. But, through testing and building, you will be able to come very close to a perfect deck.

Good luck out there I hope this helped you out!
Nightmare
Nightmare
Administrator

DP : 2000

Back to top Go down

Improve your deck building skills Empty Re: Improve your deck building skills

Post by Kylo Ren Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:09 pm

HAHAHAHAHA

LOVE IT!!!!!!!

thank you!

I bet you did that specially for me rofl...
Kylo Ren
Kylo Ren

Back to top Go down

Post by bakura_swag Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Actually it's a 50% chance for each
card, meaning a 10% chance of all monster opening hand, which is still too high
bakura_swag
bakura_swag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Or why not just simply netdeck from some site or youtube ?
Lux
Lux
Administrator

DP : 3465
Warnings : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightmare Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Because in the end what is that going to do for you, youre going to use the same build as someone that you found online no differentiating no tech choices no nothing, what happens if you get to a level of play where you have to build the deck yourself netdecking isn't going to have helped you out.

In addition if you're the one building the deck you're more than likely to think about how the cards interact with each other forming strategies and options in your mind prior to even dueling with them.

I never played noble knights prior to this morning if i net decked i still would have no idea how to play them but i took my time to read the ability's to find out what i could or couldn't do, found new plays i didn't even know was possible and for I have a better deck for me than I would if it was netdecked.
Nightmare
Nightmare
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Ren Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:33 pm

yugideckfan wrote:Or why not just simply netdeck from some site or youtube ?

I'm tired of netdecking. I wanna be able to build my own decks... Starting from 0, just having cards.
Kylo Ren
Kylo Ren

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Well, im good with making decks Razz
Lux
Lux
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightmare Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:36 pm

then simply dont read this .-. this is for those whom require aid in making deck wish to learn how to do so and dont mind reading a little bit about it.
Nightmare
Nightmare
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:47 pm

True. I'll read it.
Lux
Lux
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Ren Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:48 pm

well, my deckskills are nearly none-existant. The best deck I made so far is my rp deck. And that's only because it's very very very basic.
Kylo Ren
Kylo Ren

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:51 pm

My best deck are Sylvans. Im proud of my build
Lux
Lux
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightmare Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:06 pm

every deck i make i put time and effort into building, i try to keep all my decks to a certain standard.
Nightmare
Nightmare
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Ren Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Anyhow, I'll be using this page a lot it seems haha
Kylo Ren
Kylo Ren

Back to top Go down